Past Paper of FCPS Part 1 Medicine july 2007
MEDICINE Q’s July 07 Part-1
1) What structure is located superio-posterior to pituatoryfossa
Mastoid air cells
2) Which Lung function Test is diagnostic of Asthma?
3) Bee sting, shock like condition of a child, flushed, what mechanism is involved
Type 1 reaction
4) What sensory receptors sense VIBRATION?
5) Cause of anemia in Pregnancy
Fall in Hb
6) Cut to the postero lateral area of FOREARM near the head of Radius, a nerve is cut, cant appose thumb, no sensory loss, difficulty (I guess extending) thumb, injury to
7) Structure not passing through FLEXOR RETINACULUM of forearm
8)Cause of SQUAMOUS METAPLASIA in a 38yrs old lady
9) Mild CCF symptoms, Monotherapy to be prescribed
Ca Channel blockers
10)Pregnancy Induced Hypertension, Rx?
11) Side Effects of ACE inhibitors
12)BARRETT’SEsophagus, whats the cause?
Loss of Myenteric nerve plexus
Failure of relaxation of LES
13) Which is not a branch of VAGUS
14) Volume of Distribution, Defination?
15) First pass Hepatic Metabolism, Basic concept.
16) Branches of BASILAR Artery
17) Vertebral Artery Branches. Like, which is a branch of it.
(Circle of Willis was a hot thing this time, more than 3 Q)
18)Which of these form Circle of Willis
Post communicating artery
19) RENIN ANGIOTENSIN System
Mechanism of Aldosterone release, the basic concept.
20)Bodyconcerves body water by
21) METAPLASIA, Defination.
22) HYPERPLASIA Definition.
23) VOLUME DEPLETION, Which mechanism is activated
Renin angioaldo system
24) Which drug has a n ATROPINE LIKE ACTION
25)Old obese Diabetic, newly diagnosed, choice of Rx?
Biguanides plus sulphonylurea
26) BARRETT ESOPHAGUS can lead to:
Sq carcinoma Esophagus
27) Location of PSEUDO STRATIFIED SQUAMOUS Epithelium
28) STRATIFIED SQUAMOUS Epithelium, characters
29) Pseudo Stratified COLUMNER CILIATED Epithelium, Location?
30) Histological section of a lymphoid tissue, a cortex and a medulla seen, and some ?ducts visible, Identify.
31) Which cells cannot PHAGOCYTOSE
32) SENSORY RECEPTERS in Joints
33) Complement system is activated by the interaction of ?some factor with
A (cant remember the options)
33) Most Important use of ECF
Excretion of CO2 from body
34) Reasons for susceptibility to infections in AIDS
Decrease in CD4 count
35) HAIRY LEUKOPLAKIA is seen in
36) Following PARTIAL HEPATECTOMY, remaining part can regenerate in
37) Which drug binds to COX-2 recepters and not to COX-1
38) What is transmitted through corpus callosum.
39) What is the result of a lesion at the OPTIC CHIASMA
40) What structure is Not related to OPTIC TRACT?
Lateral Geniculate body
41) Area of brain affected in BITEMPORAL HEMIANOPIA
42) CSF pressure is increased when what structure is blocked :
Internal Jugular vein
43)Functions of CEREBELLUM
44) Venous drainage of the HEART
Anterior cardiac sinus
Inferior vena cava
45) RIGHT HEART BORDER is formed by
46) CIRCUMFLEX ARTERY supplies
47) Whats correct regarding HEART?
Atria and Ventricles contract simultaneously.
Contraction starts from Left apex
Left Atria is 3 times larger than Right atria.
Left atria is 1st to contract
Excitation passes from Atria to Ventricles directly.
48) What structures are present in the free border of the LESSER SAC
Cause of abdominal angina, occlusion of:
Superior Mesenteric A
Inferior Mesenteric A
49) Lymph Nodes involved in Ca CERVIX are?
50) Ca Cervix is caused by:
51) Sympathetic stimulationof Beta recepters causes
52) Mix lesion of loss of pain and Temperature of one side and Proprioception of the other side, whats the cause/where is the lesion.
53) In Cervical part of spinal cord, whats deficient?
54) In REM sleep, the following happens:
55) Lesion in the Broca’s area:
Can’t speak except in few words
Decreases when alveolar size decreased
Has a low turnover rate
57) An athlete at rest:
Increased Stroke rate
Increased cardiac output
Increased Heart rate
58) H-K-ATPase pump is blocked by
59) Murmur of MS best heard at
60) In Hypertension, Renin release is mediated by
Renal artery dilation
Na in distal limb loop of Henle
61) Vasodilation is mediated by
62) Tidal Volume is a part of which capacity
63) Pneumoconiosis, whats the differenciating lesion
65)Asthma, which investigation is diagnostic: (BRS-Physio Page 136 to confirm)
66) Thellasemia, Where is the defect – in Heme or Globin
67) CCF, raised Ph, carbon dioxide 44mmhg, Hco3 raised.
Whats the metabolic disorder.
68) Histology of nephron, which part is in the medulla
Loop of Henle
69) Infusion of I/V dextrose, how will body respond
Decrease in insulin release
Increase in Glucagon
70) Bone lesion in the elderly, bone matrix is being eroded, which hormone is responsible
71) CRF, Hypertension, which of these changes CANNOT happen:
72) Release of ADH happens under what circumstances,
73) Acid is released in stomach when
Proteins are ingested
74) Crohn’s disease, differenciating lesion from UC:
75) Appendicitis, on lab test major finding :
Water levels in R Iliac fossa
76) Polypeptide hormone:
And 4 steriod hormones mentioned
77) Protein synthesis in secretory cells:
78) Peroxisomes release:
79) Hormone/s responsible for BREAST ATROPHY
80) Dumb Question>>
Which Hormone is responsible for respiration during the leutinisationphase
E (Do leave a comment if you think this Q makes any sense)
81) Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis (Scenario given), whats the cause?
82) Pheocromocytoma, whats the treatment?
Both Alpha+ Beta.
83) Hypertension, Increased Na, Decreased K, whats the reason
84) Non Anionic Gap Metabolic Acidosis is seen in
85) Effects of Insulin on body fat deposits/metabolism
87) Modes of inheritance, ( 2+ questions were there) Like which is what. Autosomal Dominant was asked
88) Autosomal Recessive disorders are:
89) Wheat contains which vitamin/mineral
90) Child having diarrhea, has been on glutin free diet for 8-10 days. Whats the diagnosis
91) Young girl with emlarded clitoris
92) An old man hit by car bumper> #fibula, which nerve is affected.
Ans: common paroneal
93) Knee fully extended, in a locked-in position, which nerve is affected.
94) Right foot in the air, Left pelvis sinks down, which nerve is affected?
L Superior Gluteal Nerve (correct)
R Superior Glut
L Inferior Glut
R Inferior Glut
95) About Ca Colon,
Right sided present early
Cause is increased fat intake, low fibre (correct)
96) Man, previously had a disorder in U bladder, now came for follow up and is found to have Ca, whats the cause:
97) Lateral quadrant of breast drains into which group of Lymph node.
98) CA anterior 2/3 tongue, which group of lymph nodes are involved:
L anterior superior submandibular
L Post Sup submandibular
R post sup submandibular.
99) Chorda Tympani, course.
Option: joins lingual nerve when exits skull.
100) About Lacrimal gland,
Is located in lacrimal fossa on the lateral side
Both glands drained by single duct.
101) Lacrimal duct opens at:
102) In pure motor stroke, which area is involved
103) Functions of Corpus callosum, Globus pallidus, Putamen.
104) A patient on a psychiatric drug, side effects mentioned, which drug is responsible.
105) A man, around 35 brought to emergency, sweating, salivation, Heart rate 45, BP 60/40, whats the treatment.
Atropine (correct) (Organo phosphate poisoning.)
106) This area is normally resonant to percussion
2-4 Intercostal space on Right
2-4 Intercostal space on Left
5-6 I/c space on Right
5-6 I/c space on
107) Boy, age 10, history of trauma to chin 2 years ago presents with inability to open mouth fully, cause?
Sub mucous fibrosis
Ankylosis of TM joint
The Q’s below are courtesy of ‘Dr Daffodil’.
108) Vitamin raised in disturbed homocystine metabolisma.B1.b.B6c.B12
109)Vit B 6 involve ina.oxidationb.reductionc.Carboxylation
110) End product of Purinea.uricacidb.urea
111) Miscellesa.contains more Triglyseridesb.absorb fats in duodenum
112) Chemotherapy causesa.degenerationb.apoptosis
113) Corpus callosum containsa.commisuralfibersassociationfibers
114) Aphasia a.paralysis of muscles of palate/toungueb.due to damage of frontal cortex in dominant hemisphere
115) Tabesdorsalis causes bladder incontinence due to a.Atonicbladderb.automaticc.neuropathic
116) Dopamine regulates a.Prolactineb.Somatostatin
117) Neurotransmitter related to emotionsa.ACHb.Norepinephrinc.glutamted.Dopamine
118) Proencephalin is abnduntly found ina.Basal ?Gangliab.Cerebellumc.Thalmus
119) Regardingpul. circulationa. resistance is (dont remember % or ratio) less than systemic circulation
120) During Ventricular ejectiona.min pressure difference b/w Lt. Vent. and Aorta
121)Facial nerve/chorda tympani?( dont exactly remember)a. supply mucus membrane of int. earb.givessecretomotorfibers to Parotid gland
122)Disease of cervix inolveslymhnodesa.Int. illiacb.Int. n ext. illiacc.deppinguinald.Para aortic
123) prostate CA which lymph nodes be involveda.Int.illiacb.Paraaorticc.Deep Inguinal
124) Radiotherapy effect the most a.ovaryb. Ut.tubesc.uterusd.cervix
125)CSF showing raised neutro,proteins ,low glucose .which drug to givea.ceftriaxoneb.rifampicin
126) Insensible lossoesa.200-400b.500-600c.800-1200127) Pri.opsonin in classic pathwaya.C5ab.C3ac.IgGd.C3b