To drain an abscess (a closed collection of pus) affecting the cheek area, an emergency room physician used local anesthesia for the surgery. Which of the following nerves must be anesthetized because it carries pain sensation from the cheek area?
- A patient who experienced bilateral anterior dislocation of the jaw (temporomandibular joints) could not swallow or talk since the mouth was held open. What is the position of the condyles of the mandible as a result of the dislocation?
against the external acoustic meatus
against the anterior slope of the articular eminence
against the posterior slope of the articular eminence
in the mandibular fossa
in the pterygoid fossa
- In reducing an ankylosis of the TMJ, a surgeon provoked an intense hemorrhage by lacerating the artery coursing transversely just medial to the neck of the condyle. Which artery was involved in the accident?
- The muscle which separates the submandibular triangle from the paralingual space is the:
Digastric, posterior belly
- The predominant muscle most associated with retraction of the mandible is the:
- At the temporomandibular joint (TMJ), hinge movements occur between the:
condyle and articular eminence
articular disc and articular eminence
condyle and articular disc
articular disc and articular cavity
condyle and articular cavity
- A 38-year-old patient complained of acute dental pain. The attending dentist found penetrating dental caries (dental decay) affecting one of the mandibular molar teeth. Which nerve would the dentist need to anesthetize to work on that tooth?
- Incapacity to protrude the mandible indicates a dysfunction of which muscle?
Anterior belly of digastric
- Damage to the facial nerve near the stylomastoid foramen would likely cause each of the following motor deficits EXCEPT:
Paralysis of the buccinator muscle
Inability to whistle
Paralysis of the muscles that elevate the mandible
Inability to close the lips
- The lesser petrosal nerve carries preganglionic parasympathetic fibers to the:
- What bony feature of the mandible can be used to find and palpate the facial artery?
- Which of the following suprahyoid muscles would be paralyzed if the inferior alveolar nerve were severed at its origin?
- Which nerve is endangered during surgical removal of an impacted third mandibular molar tooth?
Inferior alveolar n.
- After the mandibular condyle is moved forward onto the articular eminence (e.g., by opening the mouth widely), what muscle can then retract the mandible?
Superficial head of masseter m.
Deep head of masseter m.
Posterior part of temporalis m.
Anterior part of temporalis m.
- Two nerves usually emerge from between the two heads of the lateral pterygoid muscle: the anterior deep temporal nerve and the:
Inferior alveolar n.