List of topics for FCPS-1 for Physiology
List of topics for FCPS-1 that are almost never ignored
PHYSIOLOGY (reference; BRS physio)
These topics are almost always present in one form or another in the MCQS please go through them in the detail.
- Diffusion,active & passive transport,carrier mediated , co& counter transport.
- Action potential. (neurons,muscle,cardiac,SA node)
- Structure of a neuron.
- Structure of a skeletal muscle and mechanisms of synaptic transmission and pathophysiology of Myesthenia gravis.
- Cell structure with special reference to the ribosomes,golgi apparatus,SER,RER
One shall be extremely clear about the functions of different organelles
this is extremely impoertant ! specially SER,RER,ribosomes.
- General arrangement of sympathetic and parasympathetic systems.
organization of pre and post ganglionic fibers. Location of various types of autonomic fibers with the mechanisms of the receptors. Make some good pnemonic or wait for my scanned notes to show up. (in a few days insha Allah )
- Tabes dorsalis pupil :p argyl Robertson and a few other pupil pathologies.
- Table 2-5 and table 2-6 of BRS (page 36 and 38) are absolutely mandatory and are meant to be some what swallowed in a way that you can tell it like we speak our mother tongue. They are some things that are never ever ignored in the paper 1,2 mcqs come from here under every circumstances and remember for passing every single mcq counts !!!
- Optic pathways and its lesions.
- Different types of papillae on tongue, their distribution, innervation and the types of tastes that are being carried by them. One of the most imp MCQ.
- Muscle sensors.page 47,48,49,50 of BRS exceedingly important ! table 2-8
- Hypothalamus and the organization of hunger,satiety and temperature regulation
Again ! one of the mandatory MCQ.
- Basal ganglia and organization of different nuclei and neurotransmitters involved.
- Cerebellar fibers and deeper nuclei orientation of nuclei from medial to lateral or vice versa. Super hit imp !
- Different waves of ecg, intervals and their significances.
- Cardiac cycle . mandatory mcq !
concept of pre load, after load, cardiac output, stroke volume and one must know their formulas too as small calculations are often there to rock the innocent minds !
- Concept of baro receptors ! super imp.
- Table 3-3 page 92 BRS physio.
- All lung capapcities ! Mind you paper isn’t made without them.
they are mandatory in the paper and even more than one mcq is present in different contexts and sometimes there are calculations pertaining to it.
- Concept of FEV1/FVC and the value of the ratio that’s 0.8
effect of different diseases on this ratio.
- Mechanics of respiration. Concept of diaphragm as muscle of respiration and concept of various diameters AP, transverse and concept of compliance.
- BINGO! Here comes an absolutely imp topic, hemoglobin oxygen dissociation curves.
Their right and left deflections.
- Figure 4-7 page 125 BRS. And off course its explanatory stuff around it.
- Pulmonary circulation. Page 129 onwards. vvvvv imp for the mcqs
remember all the different zones and areas along with their v/Q and the influence of exercise on the different zones is meant to be gulped.
- Figure 4-12 pages 132. BRS physio.
- General orientation of extracellular and intracellular spaces their important ions,
- Inulin, PAH and creatinine; these three things and their uses are absolutely mandatory to know about.
- GFR ands its formula, page 150 BRS .
Filtration fraction and formula.
- Table 5-3 BRS absolutely mandatory to know. Page 152.
- Table 5-6.
- Please give detailed time to the organization and properties of all the segments of the nephron specially PCT and DCT.
- Gastrointestinal hormones, Gastrin, Scretin and CCK being their favorites.
- Absorption of the compounds in the small intestine and the large intestine.
- Enteric nervous system and the neurotransmitters involved.
- Effects of prolactin and growth hormone.
- Sertoli and leydig cell functions.
- Synthesis of thyroid hormones and the levels that can be intercepted by various drugs.
One shall know the mechanism of action of those drugs.
Effects of congenital hypothyroidism.
Dr Aun Jamal